Capron is a village in Boone County, Illinois, United States. It is part of the Rockford, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,376 at the 2010 census, up from 961 at the 2000 census.
Capron was named after General Horace Capron.
When General Capron was living in his Hebron house after the Civil War, he entertained numerous distinguished persons, including General Grant. For his war services, Capron was awarded land by the government. On this tract the town of Capron grew up. According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 0.78 square miles (2.0 km2), all land. Route 173 runs through the town.
In the 1920's Capron offered its residents several merchandise and grocery stores, two meat markets, two hardware store, drug and stationary store, two barber shops, plumbing shop, auto dealers and repair shops, recreation center, farm implement dealers, blacksmith sop, banking facilities and several resident doctors. Capron also had a lumber yard,, coal bins, depot, stockyards and three hotels. Angling road was the trail of the Kenosha-Galena stage coach.
Long Prairie Trail http://www.traillink.com/trail/long-prairie-trail.aspx
Starting near the town of Capron at the McHenry/Boone County Line trailhead on County Line Road, you are immediately met with an interpretive sign detailing the Potawatomi Indians' history in the area. This is a pleasant sign of things to come, as there is great signage throughout the trail, with information ranging from area history to flora and fauna identification.